Cell Types and Computing in the Retina
The retina has 60 different types of neurons. What are their functions? This lecture explores the definition of cell types and their functions in the mammalian retina.
- Introduction to retinal structure and function
- Retinal neuron types and anatomy, physiology
- On-cells and off-cells
- Retinal tiling
- Major cell types in the retina
- Retinal output
- Object motion sensitive cells
- Distinguishing between local and global motion
- Shunting inhibition
- Using retinal coding knowledge to design prostheses
- Q&A (from 1:02:28)
Some basic knowledge of neurons and the visual system, comparable to the two first lectures in this series.