Optical imaging of brains
Optical imaging offers a look inside the working brain. This lecture takes a look at orientation and ocular dominance columns in the visual cortex, and shows how they can be viewed with calcium imaging.
Topics covered in this lesson
- Putting the size of the brain in context
- Studying brain activity on different levels
- Brain imaging: MRI/fMRI, optical imaging, two-photon microscopy with calcium imaging
- Speed and resolution
- Precursors to optical imaging
- Ocular dominance
- Fluorescence microscopy
- Imaging in vivo with single-cell resolution
- 1-photon vs 2-photon microscopy
- Modern techniques
Some basic knowledge of neurons and the visual system, comparable to the two first lectures in this series.