Simulating the Long Time Scales and Large Molecule Numbers Involved in Synaptic Plasticity
This lesson gives a presentation on computationally demanding studies of synaptic plasticity on the molecular level.
- Long-term synaptic plasticity.
- Spatial specificity and information processing in dendrites/spines.
- Stochastic reactions and diffusion.
- Tau leap algorithm.
- Temporal specificity.
- Depolarization induced suppression of inhibition.
- Simulation results in a high-resolution compartmental model of a dendrite with spines.
This presentation requires familiarity with biochemical networks involved in synaptic plasticity and some knowledge of biochemical network modelling and simulation. Recommended: Cellular Mechanisms of Brain Function, especially lectures 16-20 on post-synaptic plasticity.