Simulating the long time scales and large molecule numbers involved in synaptic plasticity
Conference presentation on computationally demanding studies of synaptic plasticity on the molecular level
Topics covered in this lesson
- Long-term synaptic plasticity.
- Spatial specificity and information processing in dendrites/spines.
- Stochastic reactions and diffusion.
- Tau leap algorithm.
- Temporal specificity.
- Depolarization induced suppression of inhibition.
- Simulation results in a high-resolution compartmental model of a dendrite with spines.
This presentation requires familiarity with biochemical networks involved in synaptic plasticity and some knowledge of biochemical network modelling and simulation. Recommended: Cellular Mechanisms of Brain Function, especially lectures 16-20 on post-synaptic plasticity.