Introduction to myelination in the CNS and PNS for non-specialists
Introduction to the origin and differentiation of myelinating cell types, molecular mechanisms defining onset and progression of myelination, demyelination and remyelination after injury. Speaker: Christine Bandtlow.
- The role of myelin
- Time course of myelination in development
- Oligodendrocyte maturation and myelination
- Schwann cells
- Comparing oligodendrocytes in the CNS with Schwann cells in the PNS
- Nodes of Ranvier and saltatory conduction
- Effects of demyelination on axonal conduction
The previous lecture in this series, by the same speaker.